Staff Protocol Engineer
Agora is working towards a new paradigm for group collaboration by creating the tools for communities to work together onchain. This is not yet-another-productivity-saas. We believe that to enable the next era of collaboration, we need software that can bend current and create new incentives. No amount of removing friction will change how we work together if our reward functions are misaligned.
So to this end, Agora is working tirelessly on the best end-to-end governance platform for crypto protocols – the first instance of at scale onchain collaboration. Leading communities like Optimism, ENS, Uniswap, Nouns, and more rely on Agora to coordinate their community around critical protocol upgrades, ecosystem funding, and steward their ecosystem for the future.
But that’s not where we stop. Our goal is to build deep collaboration tools for people who couldn’t care less about crypto so that one day (soon), your friends back home are using Agora without ever knowing we’re on Ethereum.
What you'll do
This is a technical leadership role where you’ll be working as a peer with our engineering and product cofounders in driving the protocol strategy, implementation, and ensuring they work well with our applications. Day to day, you will:
- Architect and build smart contract protocols that secure billions of dollars of value and the future of many of the most important protocols in Ethereum
- In particular, drive decentralization technical strategy for the Optimism Superchain
- Drive standardization in crypto protocols by designing and defining interfaces and standards
- Mentor and train other team members and teams on smart contract engineering best practices
What we are looking for
We are looking for a solidity developer who has a passion for pushing the boundaries of onchain governance and decentralized, collective creation forward. We’d love to work with you if…
- You have a strong work ethic and care about making day by day progress on what you’re building, but can also reserve a part of your brain untethered from the earth – thinking what’s at the boundary of the possible.
- You consider how your code will be read, written and indexed by applications as a core part of good protocol engineering. You understand how data gets into the EVM, how it get into applications, and how can you do that efficiently.
- You are familiar with the most common crypto protocols and standards and are able to explain how and why they work. You don’t need to have worked on these contracts directly, but you should be comfortable explaining their design patterns and extrapolating into your work at Agora.
- You keep up with the latest frontier developments in crypto: zkp, account abstraction, mev, L2s etc. This is not a research engineer role, but working familiarity with what’s at the frontier will help you steer our protocol engineering thinking in the right direction in the long run.
- You are proud and passionate about Open Source. Bonus if you’ve made contributions to projects.
- You love onchain governance like us :)
What we offer
- Ownership – both in responsibility and equity. We’re a small team with high trust and expectations of each other. We want you to own a sizable chunk of of the product and company, and structure our compensation accordingly.
- Competitive benefits – in addition to good health and dental benefits, we trust all employees with a no-limit company card and equal access to our executive assistant to use however they see fit to increase their productivity.
- A strong team – we’re a small team that values experience, character and integrity. You’ll work with peers you respect, and who respect you.
- A seat at the table – you will come to all off sites, and be part of all strategic discussions. We’re hiring for a technical leader, and will treat you as such.
- A path to grow – our goal is to retain all early hires as senior leaders as the company scales. We believe folks with the best expertise and deep context should lead organizations, even if they don’t traditionally self-identify as people managers.
- Remote friendly, but PST or EST timezones preferred.
How to Apply
Apply Here Please include a link to your Github profile. Curta leaderboard candidates skip directly to CTO interview